Amenities in East-the-Water
For school, community centre, and church, see the Community
page. Other amenities provided for within the community are:
- doctor's surgery, with on-site pharmacy - the Wooda Surgery (+ Lloyds Chemist);
- dentist - Pollyfield Dental Centre (see NHS Choices entry);
- grocery stores - TESCO supermarket on Manteo Way, a Best One convenience store at Barton Tors (twice rated nationally as in the top 100 convenience stores);
- places to eat out:
- East of the Water (West of the Orient) is an oriental restaurant;
- the Riverbank Bar and Bistro;
- the The Royal Hotel;
- the Blacksmith's Arms.
- refreshments are also served at Bideford Railway Heritage Centre on the old railway station site;
- take-away food - Silverbridge House (Chinese) on Barnstaple Street and a fish and chip shop at Sentry Corner;
- public houses and bars - the Black-smiths Arms on Torrington Street, the Pollyfield Community Centre;
- hotel - The Royal Hotel;
- police - there is a police office based at the Pollyfield Community Centre;
- vet - Witten Lodge Veterinary Centre has a branch on the Alverdiscot Industrial Estate;
- post - there is a small Post Office at Barton Tors (usually less busy than Bidefordís main one);
- leisure equipment hire - Bideford Cycle, Surf and Kayak Hire;
- car servicing - Bideford Auto Services Ltd, JK Auto Tek, Warmingtons Garage;
- allotments - behind Pollyfield, provided by Bideford Town Council;
- building and agricultural supplies - Jewson, Cornwall Farmers;
- auctions - Torridge Auctions;
- car parks - Clarence Wharf pay-and-display in Barnstaple Street;
- bus - the community lies on the North Devon Wave's route (Stagecoach 21/21A), providing very regular services between Westward Ho! and Ilfracombe via Barnstaple;
- taxis - MR & MRS Taxi, Wes Taxis, Alpha Cars, Prouse Taxis (find their numbers on TaxiRegister);
- Social media - East-the-Water's Facebook page.
A wide range of additional amenities are available on the western bank of the river, just a short hop across the ancient Long Bridge, including Bideford Library, the Burton Arts Centre and museum, a regular Farmer's Market, the Pannier Market, the Atlantic Village retail park, a swimming pool (Torridge Pool), additional schools (Kingsley School, Bideford College), and numerous shops.
Among the other amenities lying within a reasonable distance of the community are:
- rail link - nearest station is in Barnstaple (9.6 miles), with bus connection;
- major road link - easy access to the North Devon Link Road, which eventually connects with the M5.